Home » Posts tagged 'redfored'
Tag Archives: redfored
Inspired by educators around the country, the foundation of our platform is to advance the struggle for racial, social, and economic justice. EDU members discussed and voted on this platform this past winter.
1) WE BELIEVE IN AND WILL FIGHT FOR free, democratically governed, high quality public education for all, from preschool through college and university as a right of all of our residents.
2) WE BELIEVE that fighting for an economically and racially just society is true education reform, the only way truly to create the public schools and the Commonwealth we want to live in. We will build a union that uses its collective power to fight racism, and economic inequality, and to challenge oppression in all forms.
3) WE BELIEVE that the MTA is strongest when rank-and-file members organize for power to solve problems in their workplaces and communities.
4) WE REJECT policies of economic austerity that have intentionally starved
school budgets and promoted efforts to privatize or corporatize our schools,
including via the strategies of charter schools, turnaround plans, and takeovers.
5) WE REJECT a regime of testing, evaluation, and standardization that damages educators and students.
6) Free, high-quality public higher education
7) We stand for the continued expansion of civil rights, for people of color, for immigrants, for people of all genders and sexual preferences.
8) WE BELIEVE in dignity, respect, and autonomy in the workplace for all
educators, particularly the most undervalued and least protected.
9) WE BELIEVE the MTA must work in coalition with community and civil rights groups, other unions, and students and parents to achieve the public schools and colleges Massachusetts deserves.
10) WE BELIEVE in union democracy at all levels. We believe that contested
elections and vigorous debate are essential elements of democracy.
11) WE STAND in solidarity with educators and other workers in the U.S. and abroad. Their struggle is our struggle.